What are the basics of encryption for API testing?
Get some guidance with your UI Automation
This week I thought it would be worth revisiting how we communicate as testers, maybe we could do it better? Especially with most of us being remote, surely it’s more important than ever to be as effective as we can be. This article “10 Examples of Effective Communication for Testers” can definitely give some guidance.
- Áine, MarketingBoss
This newsletter is kindly supported by TestRail!
Join QA test management expert (and MoT alum!) Simon Knight for “Test Planning Simplified,” the first webinar in a 3-part series on key strategies to improve your test design and planning in 2021. Wednesday March 10, 2021 at 4pm GMT. Register here.
What’s New With Ministry of Testing?
We’ve some new webinar recordings and a new podcast!
🎉 We have another Pro Member Competition for you thanks to TestRail! That’s access to all our 99-Minute Workshops, Online TestBashes, Courses, TestBash talks, Themed Weeks well everything for a whole year! Enter before the 1st March to be in with a chance.
There are some common software design patterns and methodologies that can be helpful when dealing with UI automation, especially with creating a UI testing framework. We’ve a recent article with examples and use cases that could help you with your UI testing framework. 🖼
🎧 Do you ever wonder what goes into writing for us? Get an inside look from our EditorBosses Amy Brown and Gareth Waterhouse in our latest podcast. You may even consider writing for us yourself!
In 2020 Irene Herrero won a Pro Membership, find out the struggles she encountered and how she overcame them to eventually become a sole tester. Find out the impact a Pro Membership could have on you.
Our first learning pathway is now live. This one focused on UI Automation, we’ve broken it up into 3 modules, with 25 lessons, 21 activities and 2 speakers. It’s open to all Pro members and offers a great way to guide you through gradually increasing your knowledge and skills to more advanced levels. Expect more pathways soon! 🛣
Another new exciting thing — we have quite a few this week — our new timeline! When you log on to the Ministry of Testing platform you will see the latest community posts, articles, events that have gone live, new podcasts, webinars and everything else. Basically, it’s an aggregated look at everything that has gone live on our platform. Plus a few new menus and featured areas to make navigation even easier.
The recording from the recent Panel Discussion on Automating UIs is now available to watch. It was a very lively discussion with Angie Jones, Julia Pottinger and Marie Drake, lots of knowledge and experience shared.
Are there things you wish you knew when you first became a tester? Like being active in the community. This is an interesting read from Nicola on what she wished she knew when she started testing.
🔒 Do you do threat modelling? This short podcast talks about the recently released Threat Modeling Manifesto.
📊 Data science model testing seems to be becoming more popular, with more businesses searching for data scientists. This podcast with Laveena Ramchandani talks about her experience of moving into this new area of testing.
Simon is looking for tips and successes people have had when trying to bring exploratory testing formally into the ways of working. Have you got some you could share?
Are you looking to practice code but would like to do it where you can check your answers? The community have curated a list of sites where you can do this.
Are there any metrics worth capturing? Tom is looking for suggestions that drive improvements going forward. 📈
Could you help Raghu to learn the basics of encryption for API testing? Maybe you have some blogs or videos you could share.
Upcoming MoT Events
All of our upcoming events — including training, Masterclasses, Ask Me Anythings and Panel Discussions.
- UI Automation Week — from the 22nd to the 26th of February 2021
- Masterclass: The UI Test That Cried Wolf — with Alex Burlton — 3pm UK Time — 23rd February
- Automation in Testing Online (Cohort Edition) — with Mark Winteringham and Richard Bradshaw — Starting on the 2nd of March 2021
- Testing Ask Me Anything — Critical Thinking with Fiona Charles — 8 pm UK Time — 9th March 2021
- Software Testing Essentials Live! — with Vernon Richards and Dan Ashby — 3 days training — 12th — 14th April 2021
Posts selected from our business feed. Highlighting interesting posts from our annual partners for 2021 — they make sure we’re able to bring you excellent events, articles and everything else we do!
Ever fancied joining a Hackathon but not entirely sure what’s involved, or even if you should. Ivana shares what she gained from joining Applitools Holiday Hackathon.
We’re all fans of lists, now we have a Top 10 Must-Haves for Test Automation. This can be a useful reminder of what you should be thinking about when it comes to your automation.
A lot of us need to consider the UX Experience of our customers, in this case, take a look at Optimizing UX in E-commerce.
99-Minute Workshops — February — March 2021
Find out what time the workshops are happening in your time zone by clicking on a workshop. Have a look at all our 99-Minute workshops.
- There’s no U in Coach — Join Lindsay & Gareth at 8pm UK Time — 17th February
- Mocks and Testability — Join Ali Haydar 8pm UK Time — 24th February
- Enhancing Your Python Selenium Tests with TestProject — Join Ran Tzur at 12pm UK Time — 26th February — This workshop is open for everyone to attend, thanks to TestProject!
- Uncovering the Power of Browser DevTools — Join Butch Mayhew at 12 pm UK Time — 1st March
- An Introduction to SQL for Testers — Join Lee Marshall at 8 pm UK Time — 3rd March
- Exploring Requirements with a Tester’s Mindset — Join Janet Gregory at 12 pm UK Time — 8th March
- Property-based Testing in Java — Join Mike Solomon at 6 pm UK Time — 10th March
- Speed-testing Using Mind-maps — Join Lena Wiberg at 12 pm UK Time — 15th March
- RiskStorming Online — Join Beren Van Daele at 8 pm UK Time — 17th March
- Interactive Accessibility Quiz — Join Ady Stokes at 12 pm UK Time — 22nd March
- Continuous Testing Throughout the SDLC — Join Dan Ashby at 8 pm UK Time — 24th March
- Leading a Test Automation Strategy — Join Dana Aonofriesei at 12 pm UK Time — 29th March
- Git Foundations — Join Simon Berner at 8 pm UK Time — 31st March