Is Gatekeeping Hurting Your Team?
Delivering difficult news is something we do in the world of testing. And sometimes it can feel rubbish. At the end of last week, we announced the cancellation of TestBash Brighton. Yet good news prevails as we share a taster of positive things to come in 2022 — TestBash UK and TestBash World! Read the announcement or listen to Richard Bradshaw and Mark Winteringham to find out more. 🗺
- Simon, CommunityBoss
This newsletter is kindly supported by Vornex.
TimeShiftX lets you time travel your software to test date and time sensitive functionality and code such as year-end, daylight savings, and billing. Employ instant time travel inside Active Directory & Kerberos without code or system clock changes and removing all pain points.
Missed some of Test.bash();? You can now watch all the videos from the amazing day, plus a couple more bonus talks too! Inspire yourself and learn from so much tool awareness. 🧰
NEW Article: Three Ways To Measure Unit Testing Effectiveness by Eduardo Fischer. In this post, Eduardo discusses three different ways of measuring whether the test suites are truly useful. The three ways are field-tested by big companies and have proven themselves reliable.
👉 Thinking about a career move or looking to hire? Visit the MoT jobs page.
👉 Head on over to the Pet Pics Thread. Soak up some love for our animal friends. 🐈⬛🐕🦺
👉 What are your guiding principles for testing? Read many views and add yours.
👉 Can you recommend your company for an annual partner package? We’re looking for Annual Partners for 2022!
Watch our recent session with Saskia Coplans in our recent Ask Me Anything. Saskia answered your questions about Security and find out about a big security testing horror story! 🙈
30 Days of Tools might officially be over yet there’s still space to join in whenever you like. Head on over to the Club to find out more. Even if you pick up only one challenge it could help you and your team. And for those of you who already got involved, would you mind sharing your feedback via this simple form?
NEW Meetup Recording: MoT Sarajevo’s first-ever meetup is now available to watch. Hear from Maaret Pyhäjärvi, Larry Goddard, and Conor Fitzgerald as they share their thoughts and advice on exploratory testing, automation frameworks, and the role of the tester.
This newsletter is kindly supported by Progress.
From Manual to Automated Testing: A free tactical guide to getting all the benefits of test automation
The decision to divorce manual testing is an important one. Peter Vogel gives you a blueprint of a successful transition to test automation. Get your free copy!
- Masterclass: Career Crafting — Date, Prepare, Share with Lena Pejgan Wiberg, Tue 23 Nov 2021, 8:00 PM — 9:00 PM GMT. This event is open to all.
- HolidayBash, Fri 3 Dec 2021, 2:00 PM — 6:00 PM GMT. Let’s celebrate the best of the testing community’s achievements with an interactive, community-led, and most of all fun event.
⭐️ All 99 Minute Workshops are included in a Ministry of Testing Pro membership. ⭐️
- Automation In Testing: Managing State In Automation with Richard Bradshaw and Mark Winteringham — Tue, 9 Nov 2021, 12:00 PM — 2:00 PM GMT
- How to Test Serverless Applications in AWS with Ali Haydar — Wed, 10 Nov 2021, 6:00 PM — 8:00 PM GMT
- Essentials: An Introduction To Exploratory Testing with Vernon Richards — Thu, 11 Nov 2021, 6:00 PM — 8:00 PM GMT
- How to Bring Visibility And Foster Collaboration in Your Testing Efforts with Cristiano Cunha — Mon, 15 Nov 2021, 5:00 PM — 7:00 PM GMT
- Automation In Testing: Managing Actions In Automation with Richard Bradshaw and Mark Winteringham — Tue, 16 Nov 2021, 12:00 PM — 2:00 PM GMT
- Say Goodbye to Test Automation Flakiness Using Next-Gen AI Tools with Amit Lacher — Wed, 17 Nov 2021, 12:00 PM — 2:00 PM GMT. This event is open to all.
- Introduction to Contract Testing with Pact with Lewis Prescott — Wed, 17 Nov 2021, 6:00 PM — 8:00 PM GMT
- Essentials: Find A Testing Role with Stuart Day — Thu, 18 Nov 2021, 12:00 PM — 2:00 PM GMT
- 👉 Plus many more 👈
🔦 This article will shed light on the dilemma of choosing between manual and automated testing.
Can Visual AI accelerate release velocity? We’re all looking for is to be able to deliver quality code faster, even as complexity grows. 🚀
What is Quality Engineering and how can you build it into your development lifecycle? Bridget shares the benefits and how you can include it in your sprint planning.
10 Things testers wish CIOs & CTOs knew about testing. Can you relate?
🐞 In software development, the sooner you find problems, the cheaper and easier it is to fix them. Any opportunity your team takes to shift left is a chance to identify deficiencies sooner.
Isaac Lyman shares many compelling reasons why code quality is everyone’s concern. It includes plenty of practical advice on how organisations can increase code quality.
Is gatekeeping hurting your team? In this excellent article, Meg urges us to be aware of the tester as a gatekeeper.
Find out from Callum why ad-hoc testing is not exploratory testing. And discover a handy comparison chart too!
A11y with Ady’s latest update features advice on when a button is not a button and amplifies a handy checklist version of the all-important Web Content Accessibility Guidelines.
Have you heard of The Quality Trilogy? Find out from Mike how it helps your team have discussions around quality.