How Do You Handle Your Test Data?
Hello and welcome to your weekly testing news.
I always enjoy what Melissa Fisher has to share and their recent definition of testing got me thinking about the importance of exploring our own definitions. There’s power in taking an existing thing and reflecting what it means to you — and then sharing the outcome with the world. You might inspire someone and that could change the course of their career.
What definitions could you explore today to reshape, reconstruct and inspire someone? Take a punt and share somewhere in our community or feel free to message me at email@example.com. I’d love to hear from you!
Have a good day. 😃
This newsletter is kindly supported by Testim!
Join Testim as we tap into the experience of test automation expert Priyanka Das Gupta to explain some common test automation challenges along with strategies to solve them. Available to view at your leisure.
What’s New With Ministry of Testing?
New events, content, and great new conversations from The Club.
- Discussion: Test Strategies — Join our host Vernon Richard as he asks our guests Barry Ehigiator, Anne Riley, and Jesper Ottosen while they discuss test strategies. Register now and ask your questions! Help steer the discussion.
- Learn about Test Leadership and Management — The recording from our most recent discussion is now available for all of our pro members to watch.
- How do you handle your test data? Join Melissa, Simon, Kristof, and many more. Read all the helpful ideas!
- Do you have advice on how to engage with your team without micro-managing them? Jump on this thread and get involved. Lots of great advice already.
- What do you do to test responsive designs? Can you help Amit?
- What would you change and/or add to the Test Heuristics Cheat Sheet? Share your ideas and help shape a new version of the most excellent cheat sheet.
TOP TIP: Stuck on any topic related to testing? You can search our content and discover a wealth of useful resources or perform a keyword search on The Club and discover so much useful information. Dig deeper to rediscover and reignite great conversations.
Join Online Events
All of our upcoming events — including Masterclasses, Ask Me Anythings, Discussions, Training Courses and 99 Minute Workshops.
- 99 Minute Workshop: Automation In Testing: What Is Automation In Testing — 12pm UK time — 7th September 2021
- Discussion: Test Strategies — 8pm UK time — 7th September
- 99 Minute Workshop: Express Yourself More Effectively In Writing — 6pm UK time — 8th September 2021
- 99 Minute Workshop: Essentials: What Is Testing? — 6pm UK time — 9th September 2021
- Test.bash(); — 28th October 2021
Discover Useful Business Posts
Posts selected from our business feed. Highlighting interesting posts from our annual partners for 2021!
- Challenges in Testing Legacy Systems — Mirza shares some advice that will make your life easier if you are also working as a software tester on a legacy project.
- How to Build Your Own Appium Plugin — This article is aimed at creating your own Appium Plugin and its use cases.
- Getting Developer Buy-In for Automated Testing — The most radical changes required to reach DevOps aren’t technological, they’re organizational.
- Are Your Test Cases Really Effective? — Here are some ways you can gauge the effectiveness of your tests — and improve them.
Get Closer to the Community
Dan North provides a deep dive reflection of why we need to talk about testing. Amongst many good points, I like how he calls out three superpowers: empathy, skepticism, and ingenuity.
Tags: Testing Definition, Test Approach, Anti-patterns, TDD
Want to explore a methodical and detailed approach to implementing change? Check out Antoine Craske’s article on How To Reach The Tipping Point of Quality Engineering. It’s jammed packed with techniques to experiment with.
Tags: Change Management, Process Improvement
I very much enjoyed Nicola Lindgren’s interview with her husband, Andreas. He’s a Backend Lead Engineer and shares many useful reflections. Find out what he had to say about testing!
Tags: Interviews, Developers
I’m surprised this video of Simon Stewart hasn’t had more views. There are all sorts of useful ideas and recommendations.
Tags: Anti-patterns, Traps, Automation, Test Approach
It’s always great to hear from such a brilliant community leader like Marie Drake. Read what she’s been up to in June and July.
Tags: Career Growth, API Testing, Accessibility, Events, Books