How Do You Factor Automation into Your Test Planning?
This week I’ve been thinking a lot about quality and value. The value we provide to our teams, our communities and ourselves. I’ve felt disjointed trying to put my finger on exactly what it was. But then I was inspired when I read a blog post from Patrick acknowledging that quality is a complex system and I realised that I’ll possibly never fully understand it and that’s okay.
Have you any thoughts about the complexity of quality?
Have a great day!
- Heather, CommunityBoss
This newsletter is kindly supported by Vornex
TimeShiftX lets you time travel your software to test date and time sensitive functionality and code such as year-end, daylight savings, and billing. Employ instant time travel inside Active Directory & Kerberos without code or system clock changes and removing all pain points.
Do you know someone who would benefit from all of the excellent things that a Pro membership has to offer? Someone who’d love to attend upcoming workshops and TestBashes? Well, there’s a new opportunity to win a whole year of Pro membership thanks to Ranorex. Answer the question to be in with a chance to win.
It’s time for another Ministry of Testing Townhall and you’re all invited 🥳 Join us to hear about what we’ve been up to for the past month, ask us your questions and share your feedback.
Neil is joined by Simon Rigler in the latest Testers’ Island Discs episode to discuss what draws people in and out of the world of testing, remote collaboration challenges and how to handle managers fixated on automation. It’s a greatest hits episode not to be missed.
Can you help?
- Quang Huu Truong feels out of sync with what they’re seeing on social media vs their experience in the workplace. Have you experienced the same?
- Robbie’s team has recently undergone an Agile transformation. Can you help with how they should incorporate automation into planning?
- Are the interview and onboarding processes as important as each other or is one a higher priority than the other?
We’re working on some magic for you all! We’ve combined TestBash Home and our meetups from all around the world to bring you something out of this world. We’re taking you on a TestBash World adventure.
- Grow Your Technical Confidence with Lisi Hocke — Wed, 2 Feb 2022, 6:00 PM — 8:00 PM GMT
- Introduction To API Contract Testing With Pact with Lewis Prescott — Wed, 9 Feb 2022, 12:00 PM — 2:00 PM GMT
- Create Test Strategies Based On Business Needs with Jesper Ottosen — Wed, 23 Feb 2022, 6:00 PM — 8:00 PM GMT
- API Automation Challenge with Mark Winteringham — Wed, 16 Feb 2022, 7:00 PM — 9:00 PM GMT. Can you send an HTTP request to an API and check the response contents are correct in 99 Minutes?
- Visually Model an Application Challenge with Mark Winteringham — Wed, 9 Mar 2022, 7:00 PM — 9:00 PM GMT. Can you create a visual model of an application in 99 Minutes?
- More coming soon!
- Ministry of Testing Townhall — February — Wed, 2 Feb 2022, 3:00 PM — 4:00 PM GMT. Discover what we’ve been up to at Ministry of Testing and ask us any questions.
- Thursday Testing Tea — Thu, 3 Feb 2022, 2:00 PM — 3:00 PM GMT. Grab a cup of your favourite beverage and join us to explore testing topics using a Lean Coffee approach.
- Community Thoughts — What does someone in automation do? — Tue, 15 Feb 2022, 8:00 PM — 9:00 PM GMT. Help us to identify the tasks that an SDET or Automator has to carry out as part of their role.
- TestBash Leadership — Thu, 10 Mar 2022 9:00 AM — 9:00 PM. All the magic of TestBash from your own home.
- Plus keep an eye out on the MoT Twitter Account for Twitter Spaces popping up at short notice. Live voice-only chat. Listen and if you like, join us on stage.
- And many more events are available on our Events page.
Enjoy connecting with a local testing community? These online MoT Meetups are worth attending.
- Hilary Weaver-Robb joins MoT Sfax to share the hidden treasures of Static Analysis on Wed, 2 Feb, 7 PM GMT.
- MoT Athens will run a Lean Coffee on The Modern Testing Principles, the next day, on Thu, 3 Feb, 5:00 PM GMT.
Attend these in-person Events
🎟 Automation in Testing — Brighton — Mon, 28 Mar 2022 — Wed, 30 Mar 2022. Automation is everywhere, its popularity and uptake have rocketed in recent years and it’s showing little sign of slowing down. Attend this multi sell-out training course to learn how to be successful with automation — it’s more than knowing how to code.
🎟 TestBashX Brighton — Thu, 31 Mar 2022, 9:00 AM — 5:00 PM GMT. We’re finally able to bring TestBashX to you! TestBashX is our new TestBash software testing conference experience and will debut in Brighton. As always, Ministry of Testing is closely collaborating with local testers and this time all-around awesome community member Emma Keaveny is working with us to bring this innovative event to you.
🎟 TestBashX Edinburgh — Thu, 28 Apr 2022, 9:00 AM — 5:00 PM GMT. Our super MoT Edinburgh Meetup organiser Craig Wylie is working with us to bring this innovative event to you.
Do you have chatty Selenium tests? Are they telling the life story of the application but not getting to the point? There are ways to minimize the chatter.
Daniel explores the mindset shifts required to succeed with automation. Of course, there’s no silver bullet but it’s super helpful to have guidance you can apply in your own context.
With so many people in software engineering using Stack Overflow, just how do they ensure an efficient automation approach to continue to deliver at scale? Bridget spoke to their VP of Product Engineering and one of their software engineers to get a look under the hood.
Check out these 10 tips to help you find mistakes in your code while you’re learning based on Sharon’s own experience while learning Python. What mistakes could you find if you read your code backwards?
Are you stuck for inspiration with your Postman feature flows? Beth has shared a super helpful video to inspire you.
Following up on his learning SQL with LEGO series, Lee has shared some helpful tips about how you could start your own.