December RoundUp of All Things MoT
First of all, we hope you had a wonderful end to 2017 and are enjoying a great start to 2018! It’s time for your monthly catch up on all things MoT from the month of December! It was a busy month, between welcoming a new Boss Boss — Richard Bradshaw and sharing plenty of community-driven content!
A few selected discussions from The Club that we thought you might find interesting.
- Help! — To find the testing enthusiasm again posted by la1. When you’re always the bearer of bad news, it can be difficult to stay enthusiastic about testing.
- Mutation Testing: Getting Started And Tools To Use posted by heather_reid. It’s often called Mutation Testing but it’s not actually Testing, it’s more an analysis and some useful tools are listed to get you started.
- How was 2017 for you? posted by rosie. Starting new careers, moving countries, moving jobs, learning new skills to help the team 2017 has been busy!
- Tips to Improve Collaboration Between Testers and Developers Masterclass — Further Discussion posted by heather_reid. The discussion from the last masterclass of 2017 continues with Maaret and Franzi answering the questions we didn’t get to in the masterclass.
- People fall into testing — but where from? posted by jesper. Some of us got straight into testing, others took a meandering road in and haven’t looked back.
- What’s wrong with Test Driven Development? posted by gpaciga. TDD is a design/development practice, but also the benefits you get from it can be useful in testing.
- Should testers write unit tests/cucumber tests? posted by tilston1001. You need to know why your process looks like it does before you decide who does what.
The Club Ninja
Each month we select one of our club users to be our ninja of the month, however as it’s December — we’ve picked a Ninja of the Year — Jesper Ottosen! Jesper has won a year subscription to The Dojo!
Snapshot of all the content produced for The Dojo throughout December! You’ll find articles, podcasts and videos.
A great new article series ‘When Support Calls: Helping Your Support Team To Help Your Customers’ by James Thomas, Chris George & Neil Younger. In this series, they introduce some support call basics, how to prepare for a call, ways to survive and even thrive on the call, how to end the call, and then think about what kinds of things can be done to cement what you learned afterwards.
- But I’ve Never Done A Support Call!
- Before A Support Call
- Being On A Support Call
- Ending A Support Call
A brilliant Masterclass with Franziska Sauerwein & Maaret Pyhäjärvi ‘Tips to Improve Collaboration Between Testers and Developers’. Throughout the evolution of software development, testers have struggled to be treated as equals and developers have lacked the understanding of why they should care.
A few Testers’ island Discs podcasts to listen to with Neil Studd:
- Testers’ Island Discs Ep 5 — Alan Page — Neil has a lively discussion with Alan about “modern testing”.
- Testers’ Island Discs Ep 6 — Christmas Special — Neil gives a rundown of the top five Yuletide songs, as voted for by the testing community alongside reviews of TestBashes and talk recommendations.
- Testers’ Island Discs Ep 7 — Lisa Crispin — In the final podcast of 2017, Lisa Crispin discusses the unique skills testers can bring to agile teams, is the world finally waking up to diversity? Plus the role of conferences in helping people to share their stories with the world.
A few heartwarming Scholarship stories:
A few podcast from the Super Testing Bros
- TestBash Manchester Review by Super Testing Bros — James and Dan review the TestBash event in Manchester. Find out their top 3 picks and favourite moments.
- Testing for Developers — The Super Testing Bros talk to two developers, Raoul D’Cunha and Ankan Sircar about what testing means to them.
- A fantastic article ‘How To Grow Your Mobile Application Testing Skills’ by Maxim Zheleznyy. Whether you are currently testing a mobile app, or want to learn more about mobile testing and what it involves; this article has ideas can help you get started and aid you with your testing journey in the mobile space.
All the TestBash Philadelphia talks!
- The famously fun 99 Second Talks!
- Testing an App That No-one Can See — BJ Aberle
- Crossing Over: How Developing a Feature Made Me Love Testing Even More — Amber Race
- Was It Something I Said? — Martin Hynie & Paul Holland
- I’ve Got A Feeling: Thoughts About Myself and The State Of Testing — Ash Coleman
- How To Be A Redshirt And Survive! — Dan Billing
- Tests Your Pipeline Might be Missing — Gene Gotimer
- The Fellowship of the Test: Building a Community Across Agile Teams — Christine McGarry
- I’m Hunting Sasquatch: Finding Intermittent Issues Using Periodic Automation — Paul Grizzaffi
- So Mr Testing Coach, What Do You Do? — Stephen Janaway
- Continuous Quality: Moving Beyond Bug Reports — Neil Studd
- But I’m Not A Security Tester! — Kate Paulk
- Fast Paced Testing for Rapid Prototyping — Tony Gutierrez
- How to Benefit from Being Uncomfortable — Cassandra H. Leung
- Lessons Learned From 60 Days of Performance Testing — Kim Knup
- The Joys of QA Management — Jake Brower
- Risk Based Testing Because You Can’t Do EVERYTHING — Jenny Bramble
Life At The Ministry
Welcoming The New BossBoss by Rosie Sherry. Rosie talks about transitioning from being the Boss Boss of Ministry of testing, learning to take a back seat and handing over the reins to Richard Bradshaw.
- Testing Ask Me Anything — Coaching — 9th January 2018–8pm UK Time
- A Tester’s Guide to Testing AI Applications — 23rd January 2018–8pm UK Time
Just a quick sneak peek at what events are coming up in the next few months
- TestBash Brighton — 15th — 16th March 2018
- TestBash Netherlands — 12th — 13th April 2018
- TestBash Dublin — 18th May 2018
December Job Postings
All of the jobs posted throughout the month of October on our Jobs board.
- Test Engineer — London, United Kingdom — Full Time
- Freelance Testers with Sonos Wireless Speakers in Canada! — Anywhere, Canada — Freelance
- Quality Assurance Tester — Athens, Greece — Full Time
- Software Test Engineer — East Kilbride, Glasgow, United Kingdom — Full Time
- Software Test Consultant Mobile & IoT (m/f) — Munich, Nuremberg, Frankfurt, Germany — Full Time
- Test Analyst — Manchester, United Kingdom — Full Time
- QA Engineer — Cambridge, United Kingdom — Full Time
- Testers needed in the UK! — Anywhere, United Kingdom — Freelance
- QA Lead — London, United Kingdom — Full Time
- Automation QA Engineer (m/f) — Berlin, Germany — Full Time
- Automation QA Engineer (m/f) — Bamberg, Germany — Full Time
- Software Testers needed in New Zealand! — Anywhere, New Zealand — Freelance
- QA Engineer — Cleveland, Ohio — Full Time
- QA Tester with Spanish Language — London, Bristol or Telecommute, United Kingdom — Contractor
- Android QA Engineer — London, United Kingdom — Full Time
- Senior Automation QA Engineer — London, United Kingdom — Full Time