Are We Just Automating Everything?
I’ve noticed there’s a lot of job moves across the testing community. Congrats on your new roles! Joining a new company and/or team can feel overwhelming. Thankfully the brilliant Lisi Hocke shares her onboarding struggles and strategies. And there’s also this excellent video from AJ Larson on strategies to engage with new testers. Dive in and see how they might help you.
Have a great day!
- Simon, CommunityBoss
This newsletter is kindly supported by mabl
The 2022 Testing Trends to Watch
What’s next for QA teams? What trends are impacting the way we approach testing? In this recorded talk, learn all about the trends impacting testers in 2022 and what it means for quality engineering.
What’s New With Ministry of Testing?
Diana is back to bring you all the TestBashes and training courses for this year — adding to our online TestBashes and bringing some in-person events too. Exciting times! Read the announcement to learn more. Have something you’d like to share with the community? Call for content is now officially open for TestBash Leadership and TestBash Mobile. 👀
Join Eva as they guide you through using an HTTP proxy to test scenarios you wouldn’t be able to test just through the UI. Find out how tinkering with APIs is actually easy and fun — this Wednesday, January 19th at 6pm GMT.
Can you help out?
- Diana would like to know your thoughts on safety measures for Covid-19 for MoT events
- Andrea is keen to find out how you onboard a new remote team member
- Mariam would like to know, is it better to use meaningful predefined text for an input message or to generate a random string?
We’re excited to announce our five Annual Partners for 2022! Sauce Labs, Mabl, Ranorex, Xray and TestRail! Our Annual Partners help to support the community. Their funding contributes to paying writers, podcast hosts, sharing the content, paying MoT staff wages and providing opportunities to gather as a community. 🙏
REMINDER. One of the many good places to meet other community members is via the #virtual-coffee channel on the MoT Slack. Each week you’re automatically paired with someone, you chat and then set up a call. It’s a great way to keep the 1–2–1 conversations going.
Register for these 99 Minute Workshops
- Beyond The UI — Introduction To HTTP Proxying with Eva Podbrdská — Wed, 19 Jan 2022, 6:00 PM — 8:00 PM GMT
- Code Reviews for Testers with Peet Michielsen — Wed, 26 Jan 2022, 6:00 PM — 8:00 PM GMT
- Grow Your Technical Confidence with Lisi Hocke — Wed, 2 Feb 2022, 6:00 PM — 8:00 PM GMT
- Introduction To API Contract Testing With Pact with Lewis Prescott — Wed, 9 Feb 2022, 12:00 PM — 2:00 PM GMT
- Create Test Strategies Based On Business Needs with Jesper Ottosen — Wed, 23 Feb 2022, 6:00 PM — 8:00 PM GMT
Join these Online Events
Are we just automating everything? Catch this voice-only discussion via MoT’s Twitter Space. Monday, January 14th at 2.30pm GMT. Don’t worry if you miss this one, follow the Ministry of Testing Twitter account for many more Twitter Spaces over the coming weeks.
NEW: Join Heather and Simon as they co-host the first-ever Thursday Testing Tea — Thursday, January 20th at 3pm. A time to come together over a brew (or whatever you like) to explore topics related to testing, using the powerful Lean Coffee approach. Structured with timers yet agenda-less, bring your topics with you and vote for those you are interested in. Register today.
Enjoy connecting with a local testing community? These three MoT Meetups are worth attending.
- MoT Sarajevo leads an open discussion about certification on Wednesday, January 19th at 5pm GMT
- Hilary Weaver-Robb joins MoT Sfax to share the hidden treasures of Static Analysis on Wednesday, February 2nd at 7pm GMT
- MoT Athens will run a Lean Coffee on The Modern Testing Principles, the next day, on Thursday, February 3rd at 5pm GMT
Discover Useful Business Posts
Everyone has a part to play when it comes to delivering a quality user experience. Quality is everyone’s responsibility. Marcus shares 10 things testers wish CIOs & CTOs knew about testing.
Actionable data helps quality teams make informed decisions about their application quality and quality strategies. To fully unlock the potential of DevOps, quality engineering teams need to be able to connect the range of tools used throughout the software development process. Find out how Quality Engineering uses data to measure change.
Nishi shares the top 5 challenges in Continuous Testing in 2022. They examine some common challenges in continuous testing and ways to overcome them.
Get Closer to the Community
Find out how Gem Hill fosters whole team quality in their workplace. Excellent insight into how Quality Engineers contribute to creating great products for customers.
In need of a reminder of how to focus on accessibility? Check out Chris Coyier’s handy list.
Callum Akehurst-Ryan shares a number of simple ideas to improve how you explore non-functional requirements.
How’s your relationship with goals? Bruce explores theirs in an honest and open post.