April RoundUp of All Things MoT
With so much going on we don’t want you to miss a thing!
April seems to have blown by with a mix of blistering heat or serious rain here! As always we’ve had a great month between online events and TestBash, so we’ve great content to share! We’ve gathered everything that has gone live, as well as those upcoming events, in this one monthly email! Handy!
A few selected discussions from The Club that we thought you might find interesting.
- A Bloggers club posted by dominickua. What better way to find motivation for blogging than to work on it with the community!
- The future of the Test Manager? posted by sgodfrey81. Can a tester operate without a Test Manager and be able to manage their own development or is the role of a manager within an Agile world more of supporting culture and people development?
- Key testing skill — in one word posted by sjwatsonuk. Steve is trying to find out from as many people as possible what one word sums up a key skill that a tester needs.
- The Book Club: Crucial Conversations posted by heather_reid. Assuming you’re not afraid of a few spoilers, a discussion about Crucial Conversations and why the contributors would recommend it to others.
- Learning buddies in Test Management? posted by bangser.a. Following on from Abby’s UnExpo stand at TestBash Brighton, if you interested in learning, teaching or sharing experiences about Test Management join the conversation.
The Club Ninja
Each month we select one of our Club users to be our Ninja of the Month. We’re delighted to announce that Abby Bangser is our Club Ninja for April!
Snapshot of all the content produced for The Dojo throughout April! You’ll find articles, podcasts and videos. We have a mix of free and pro membership content — as you might expect, as a pro member you have access to all content created.
- #30DaysOfTesting challenge is back with 30 Days of E-Commerce Testing that has been kindly sponsored by Sauce Labs
- A 99 Second Introduction to Biases from The Software Testing Clinic
- Another Ask Me Anything, this time on “Technical Testing” with Mark Winteringham. We managed to get through lots of questions.
- A brilliant new online 99 second talk from Gareth Waterhouse — The Stickman Tester poem inspired by The Stick Man book by Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler.
A couple of new articles from the Testing Planet 2018:
- Mobile App Testing Mnemonic: Reminders & Tips For Testing Mobile Apps by Daniel Knott. Easy to remember right? The article gives a detailed description of the mnemonic with explanations, tips and resources to help you with mobile testing.
- Stepping Out Of The Box: How Software Testers Provide Value Beyond The Testing Phase by Gem Hill. Gem gathered stories from the testing community about how testers provide value and help their teams increase quality throughout the development lifecycle with the aim to provide insights and ideas for testers looking to step outside the traditional testing ‘phase’.
- Test Leadership Lessons Learnt by Sunjeet Khokhar. Testers and those in non-direct leadership positions might find these lessons and tactics useful when exercising leadership in complex environments where the testing craft and its value are not understood.
- Adding Value Outside Automation by Steven Burton. When everyone is not only capable of writing the automation but does a very good job of it too, you need to be able to add value in other ways.
A few Testers’ Island Disc podcasts presented by Neil Studd
- Ep12 — Melissa Eaden — Mel brings us five of her favourite duets for a lively discussion about pairing in the workplace, and how effective communication can improve the flow of information within our teams.
- Ep13 — Andrew Morton — Andrew shares stories from TestBash Brighton 2018, highlighting a few of his favourite sessions and drawing parallels to his own career experiences.
A couple of MoT podcasts in collaboration with The Super Testing Bros
- Mobile Testing with Dougie Hoskins and Antonia Landi — Find out some of their testing strategies and top tips for testing web apps on mobile and native apps.
- Testing, DevOps, and Other Stuff with Katrina Clokie — The Super Testing Bros talk to Katrina about her book A Practical Guide to Testing in DevOps, a bit about DevOps culture, and what it means to be a tester in the world of DevOps.
A few heartwarming Ministry of Testing Scholarship stories
- My Learning Curve: How TestBash Is Making Me a Better Tester by Antonella Scaravilli
- My UnExpo Experience: What Motivates Us To Spend Time Testing Something by Steve Cooper
All the TestBash Brighton 2018 talks!!
- All the 99 Second Talks
- I Have A Secret — Anusha Nirmalananthan
- Educational Justice For Testers — Vera Gehlen-Baum
- Communities Of Practice, The Missing Piece Of Your Agile Organisation — Emily Webber
- Learning To Learn — My Struggles And Successes! — Danny Dainton
- Discovering Logic In Testing — Rosie Hamilton
- To Boldly Go: Taking The Enterprise On A Journey To Structured Exploratory Testing — Aaron Hodder
- Why We Should Test Programmable Infrastructure — Matt Long
- Experiences In Modern Testing — Alan Page
- Universities: What Do The Academics Have To Say About Testing, And Why Should We Care? — Geoff Loken
- Less Is More — Diana Wendruff & Elizabeth Zagroba
- Part Of The Pipeline — Ash Winter
- Testing Ask Me Anything — Security Testing — 8th May 2018
- Masterclass — Providing Value to Agile Ceremonies as a Tester — 15th May 2018
- TestBash Dublin — 18th May 2018
Just a quick sneak peek at what events are coming up in the next few months